If you are going to do a lightning talk (ten minutes or less, usually), remember three things:
- Write down a list of three things you want people to remember form your talk. THen choose the most important one.
- Focus on teaching only that one thing. Everything else will be left on the cutting room floor.
- Have a good story to start with. You have to have a reason why you are doing this talk. A good story should start with a problem that needs to be solved. and then the solution of that problem, and how it relates to this talk.
Added bonus points:
- Unlike in real life, It is better to finish early than too late. The audience will appreciate you saving their time. But they will hate you for wasting it above the allotted slot. Sometimes.
- Be unique. Have something that makes you unique. The subject usually isn't. So only the way of delivery can be.